RE: Letter of Understanding #13 process
Dear KFA members,
In the round of bargaining recently concluded, the parties agreed to Letter Of Understanding #13, a Joint Committee on Class Size Past Practice (see attached). The mandate of the committee is to discuss, review, and adjust class size for classes with registration limits lower than thirty-five as set by past practice.
What does this mean for you?
If your area has courses with registration limits lower than thirty-five students that are not otherwise specified in Article 12.04 Workloads, those limits will be reviewed. Your area will need to provide the reasons for the current registration limits. LOU#13 specifies the factors to be considered, including
- Professional body requirements
- Number of practicum placements available
- Physical space and equipment limitations
- Sustainability of programs (may include enrollment related information, financial viability, labour market demand, relationship to institutional mission, availability of qualified faculty and delivery mode)
- Other factors as jointly agreed
What are the next steps?
The KFA will
- provide an overview of this matter at the KFA GM on October 21
- survey faculty on class size and composition
- contact your area for consultation regarding the affected courses
- ask each area to identify a representative of affected faculty as a point person for these discussions, if required
- meet with affected chairs, coordinators, and faculty council chairs
- work with point people from affected areas to articulate the rationale for current class sizes
- update you regularly on this process as it unfolds
Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns.
KFA LOU#13 Committee Members: