When should I contact the KFA office?

If you have any concerns about your rate of pay or contractual obligations, or if you experience difficulty with any aspect of your employment at KPU, contact the KFA immediately. Your first contact should be your Executive Representative. You will find a list of the representatives here

If you are unsure if you require union representation in a meeting with administration, please read “KFActs FAQ: When Should I ask for KFA Representation?” or contact the KFA.

Where do I find the collective agreement?

You can find a copy of the current collective agreement and all past collective agreements here.


Where do I get my KPU ID card?

KPU ID cards are obtained through the KPU Library. In addition to being your official KPU ID, they also provide access to the library, photocopying, and offices and classrooms that use electronic key entry.

Who do I contact if I need help about an issue related to my contract?

Your first contact should be your Executive Representative. For general union information or confidential matters, you can also contact the KFA.

What about parking?

To park in one of KPU’s parking lots, you must purchase either a daily parking ticket or a parking pass. 

Daily tickets cost $1.00 for 30 minutes, up to a maximum of 90 minutes and $5.00 for all day. Visitor & Daily Parking Passes can be purchased at each campus using Visa, MasterCard, American Express, coins ($0.25, $1, and $2 coins only), or PayByPhone.

Discounted parking passes are available for all faculty with a current contract (NR1, NR2, or regularized).

  • Monthly Unreserved – $10.00/month
  • Monthly Reserved – $16.67/month

Instructions for purchasing discounted parking passes are available on Sharepoint.

How do I know if I am being paid the correct amount?

Articles 9 and 10 in the Collective Agreement detail faculty salaries. NR1, NR2, and regularized faculty are paid on a salary scale, and it’s important to make sure that you’re getting paid at the correct step. Article 9.02 and 9.03 detail how you can be placed at a higher step on the salary scale. Your salary step placement can be reconsidered during the first four months of your appointment. Also, if you gain additional credentials, you can gain higher placement. If you’re unsure about whether you’re being paid correctly, make sure to contact the KFA.

What do I do about students who want into a section that is already full?

Instructors do not have the authority to allow students into a full section.  Requests for enrolling an extra student are sent by KPU to the KFA Vice-President, Grievances who, in turn, informs the faculty member of the request.  There is a limit of one student per section for enrolment overloads. Faculty are under no obligation to accept an extra student.

Who do I contact if I am ill and unable to work?

If you are unable to attend your class(es) because of illness or an emergency, you need to inform both your students and your Dean’s Office / Department Assistant. Notify your students through e-mail and your Dean’s Office / Department Assistant. For student e-mail addresses, you can access your class list through Online Self Service​. Remember to send your e-mail notifications to your students’ KPU e-mail address.

You will need to provide the following information to your students and the Dean’s Office:

  • Name of instructor
  • Course / Section / Room / Time / Date of cancelled class

More details are available in the KPU Faculty and Instructional Staff Handbook on Sharepoint.

How can I get involved with the KFA?

Contact your Executive Representative or any of the Table Officers and let them know of your interest.  We warmly welcome volunteers! Call 604-599-2200.

Other questions?

Check out our KFActs articles and other newsletters for many details about contracts, vacation, regularization, illness leaves, accommodations, benefits, and so on.

Visit us during Open Office Hours. Dates and times are available on our events calendar.

Contact the KFA; we are here to help.