Fair Employment Week and the BC Election
Dear Kwantlen Faculty Association Members,
The following is a message from the President of the Federation of Post-Secondary Educators (FPSE), Brent Calvert, regarding Fair Employment Week and the BC Election. Brent will join us at the GM tomorrow to bring greetings from FPSE.
This month, there are two important opportunities to shape the future of our province for our colleagues and ourselves. The impacts of COVID-19 on post-secondary institutions are still reverberating through the system. Just as with every other sector, the pandemic has exacerbated inequalities that already existed in our society and workplaces. That’s why it’s so important that we talk about the hardships being experienced by those with the lowest pay and no job security. It’s also why we need to take part in the BC election.
Here’s how you can take part in building a better future for all of us:
Fair Employment Week | FPSE has a long and proud tradition of strong activism on behalf of all our contract faculty members. Because of the commitment, focus, and perseverance of all our members we have been able to make gains on job security and pay for our contract faculty members. Our struggle continues but this week we take time to come together, recognise our successes and plan for our next steps. Here’s our full agenda for Fair Employment Week and here’s two specific events that we’re asking you to participate in:
- Tuesday October 20 | 7pm-9pm | Join FPSE leaders and members in an informal get together. We will all share thoughts and our experiences about the challenges facing non-regular faculty this year, how we can work together and with new allies to bring about real fairness for non-regular faculty and what you need FPSE and locals to do moving forward. It will be an exciting evening! https://fpse.ca/news/meetings-events/fair-employment-week-oct-19-23-2020
- Thursday October 22 | All day | Take part in the Fair Employment Week Social Media Day of Action using the hashtags #MakeItFair, #MakeitFair4CAS and tag us @FPSE. Attached is a digital toolkit to help you with pre-drafted content.
- Contract faculty – please show and share your working conditions;
- Regular faculty – please share your support of your contract faculty colleagues; and
- Students and post-secondary supporters – please like and share #MakeItFair content throughout the day.
- If you’re not on social media, contact your FPSE Local to find out how else you can help. https://fpse.ca/about/member-locals
Vote in the BC Election | Every election is an important opportunity for educators to take part in our democracy. When you vote, you have your say in who the government will be for the next four years. Here’s our top 5 list of questions to ask and things to know to help you take part in the election. https://fpse.ca/news/fpse-news/educators-vote-five-things-know-and-do-bc-election
- Are you eligible to vote?
- Make a plan to vote!
- Decide who to vote for.
- Ask questions of candidates and parties.
- Remind your friends and family to vote!
Thanks for everything you do to support a fair post-secondary system!